Many of us have the irresistible urge to bring cat in and offer them a warm home. But this is not a decision to do it easily.
What is a stray cat?
Stray cats are animals that are born in the wild. Or returned to the wild after abandonee by their owner. These cats had to develop survival mechanisms. And are therefore seems to be more intelligent and expressive than their tame cousins. But they also have a harder time trusting humans. We understand them.
Unfortunately, many people still leave their pets behind when they move. You should know about wild cats, that is to say those who have never experienced interaction with humans. Are more difficult to tame than others. Even though they look like two drops of water like your living room cat. They have developed an instinct for survival in the wild and they don’t trust us.
How to tame a fearful cat
Some people who work with feral cat populations believe that only babies 8 weeks of age or younger can be tamed and made to live in society. However, there are of course exceptions because, like us, cats all have their own unique character and personality. The longer the cat is left on its own in the wild. The more difficult it will be to tame it, but it is not impossible.
Believe them to a friend
We sometimes notice that cats, even if they are wild, tend to approach us and our house, or even to let themselves be petted. It is these animals that already seem to like us that we are most tempted to adopt. However, cats are by nature independent beings and if they realize that you want to lock them up, they may well become fearful and disappear.
Here’s a step-by-step method that usually works with kitties who have the secret desire to fit in the comforts of your home:
- Every day, at the same time and in the same place (outside, a few steps from your front door), have dry food (because it attracts less insects) and fresh water for the cat. You can also shake the bag at each meal. Which works a bit like a bell that informs him that you serve the meal. You can observe it from inside, but don’t stay nearby.
- After a week or so, sit still a few feet from the food bowls, but do not try to touch the cat yet and observe its reactions. If he seems scared or worried, move as little as possible.
- It is also recommended to make a small shelter for the cat in a quiet and private corner, not far from where you put its food. A cardboard box and an old blanket will do. In this way, the animal will tend to always stay close to your house.
- When the kitty seems confident, you can take a few steps closer each day, but it is not yet time to stroke it.
- When you’ve managed to get close to the cat (without touching it), try placing the food bowls closer and closer to your house. Also add treats, such as small pieces of cooked chicken, fish, etc.
- Little by little, the cat should become more and more confident, come towards you and even let himself be stroked. After a little while, he will understand that you only want him good and will come back into the house on his own to claim your caresses.
What precautions are needed?
If you’ve successfully bonded with a stray cat and they’ve agreed to be part of your family, there are a few things to consider to make sure cohabitation goes smoothly.
A cat that was born and raised in the wilderness can get germs, illnesses, or fleas. You should take him to a vet as soon as possible to have him checked and vaccinated. However, don’t even consider declawing him (unless he’s really very young). This cat may need to get out and it is not doing him a service to deprive him of his only weapon.
For more information see this.
It is not because the cat has agreed to live with you that he will immediately want to sleep by your side. It is preferable, at least for the first few nights, to offer him a pleasant corner in a small room of the house (the bathroom or the laundry room are ideal), with a litter box, water and the food. As you go, your new friend should recognize their territory and feel at home. Also, try to set up a little routine, such as playing with him always at the same time, petting him after a meal, etc.
Other domestic animals
If you have other cats or dogs in the house. It’s best to isolate your new kitten in a room for a week or two, while you really bond with him. Your cat shouldn’t have a hard time making friends with your pets, but again, give her time. Everything is new to him!
If you leave the cat in a room separate from the others. It will still be able to hear, smell and learn to recognize its new roommates. And when he has full confidence in you, he will know that these other animals are neither predators nor competitors.
What if nothing works?
Remember: you might feel like you are taming this kitty, but it will still be a wild animal for a while. He is the one who decides when he comes to you and when he needs to be alone.
Grow further. After all, they are wild animals and our very human urge to comfort them may not match their urge for freedom. We must understand and respect that some cats never accept losing their independence. Even at the cost of several meals a day, a warm place and caresses.
Buy a pet
But if you want to buy a pet. You have to go to the market and buy them. But online websites are available that can help you to buy a pet. If you want to know the Persian cat price you can contact us. May we help you better.
Also see Persian cat price in India.