Whenever, users work in offline mode (Cached Exchange) in Microsoft Outlook, all the Exchange mailbox data is saved in a local file called an OST (offline storage table) file. All the changes made by the user in Offline mode will be automatically updated once the Exchange server connection is re-established. Because the OST file exists in the user’s computer, it is undamaged by Exchange Server crashes and disasters, deletion of Exchange mailboxes, and so on. Therefore, in such cases, Exchange administrators and end users can use OST files to restore user mailbox data.
Here are some circumstances where converting an OST file to PST turn out to be very helpful:
- Some Exchange mailboxes get accidently deleted from the Server
- When user wants to back up some Exchange mailboxes
- When a user of Exchange Server wants to rebuild their OST file, but has some unsaved data in the OST file
- EDB files inaccessible due to Exchange corruption, server crash, etc., and users desperately want their emails.
Now let’s move on to the methods to Convert OST into PST online. User can log in to Outlook with the same Exchange profile. However, be aware that using the manual procedure that we also mentioned in this blog has some limitations.
Method 1: Convert mailbox as PST file
Log in to Outlook using the Exchange account that was used to create the OST files. To convert the OST mailboxes to PST, do the following task:
- Launch ‘Microsoft Outlook’ and click the ‘File’ Tab
2. Go to ‘Open & Export’ option and click ‘Import & Export’
3. In ‘Import and Export’ Wizard, Select ‘Export to a file’ option; then click ‘Next’ tab
4. Now, choose the second option – ‘Outlook Data File (.pst)’ and click ‘Next’ tab
5. An ‘Export Outlook Data File’ dialog box will appear on the screen
6. Here choose the folder you want convert and press the ‘Next’ tab
7. Enter the destination path to save the new PST file under the ‘Save Exported File as’ option and click ‘Finish’
Note: There is an optional option to provide a password for the new PST file. However, you can safely proceed without selecting it.
Method 2: Make use of Outlook Archive Feature
After activating the archive feature in Microsoft Outlook, all the emails are automatically saved in the PST file format. However, it is not possible to archive contacts using this method. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Open ‘Microsoft Outlook’ and Go to the ‘File’ section
- Now, go to the ‘Advanced’ option and click on it
3. Now choose ‘Auto Archive settings…’ and click the ‘OK’ button
4. Select the number of days in which you want to run the auto archive
5. Browse the location to define the path to save the resulting archived file
6. Click the ‘OK’ button to finish the conversion process
This will save mailbox items from your OST file to PST file according to your archiving settings.
Method 3: Directly Convert OST to PST using Professional Tool
As an alternative to convert OST to PST, use can try this professional Regain OST to PST Converter tool, which freely converts 30 emails per OST folder to PST. The software avoids all the limitations and provides an effortless conversion of Offline OST file into PST without an Exchange profile or Exchange Server connectivity. It has an extremely easy-to-use interface that allows the user to select OST files, recover items including the deleted ones, and convert them to PST format. Also, multiple OST files can be converted to PST at the same time. Let’s take a look at how the tool works:
- Launch OST to PST Converter Software on your computer system. It will open a wizard to add single or multiple OST files
- Browse and add OST files and folders from its location to the software interface
- When the tool demonstrates the contents of the OST file, you can select a folder and view its contents in the preview window.
- To convert OST file into PST file format, click the Save option and choose PST file as the output type.
- Enter the destination path under the ‘Save Destination Path’ option
- Now click the ‘Export’ tab on the top to start the conversion process
- When the conversion is complete, the tool shows a message – ‘Saving Process has been completed.
Note: Here, users also get the option to transfer all the converted Output data into Office 365 & Live Exchange Server. For this, users just have to click the Office 365 option mentioned on the top and provide the required details. Lastly click the ‘Export’ button.
Key features of this tool –
- Quickly add single or multiple OST file into the software interface for fast conversion
- Works efficiently with any large OST file, there is no file size limitation for file conversion
- Offer preview facility to check each selected emails with the attached documents
- It is a secured and reliable solution to move OST file to PST without data loss
- Smartly converts OST file to PST, MSG, EML, MBOX, HTML, vCard, and ICS file format
- No technical knowledge is required as it is designed with user-friendly GUI
- It can easily recover all the corrupt, damages, deleted or inaccessible OST emails with all its components
- Supports direct migration of OST file into Office 365 & Live Exchange Server via credential
- Compatible with all the version of Windows OS & MS Outlook
- The trial version is also available, this OST to PST converter allows user to convert 30 emails per for free
The manual method will allow you to convert OST to PST, only if you are making use of Outlook with the original Exchange account. However, this OST to PST converter software converts the OST to PST format, devoid of original Exchange profile and Exchange Server connectivity.
This Software also offer free demo version where user can easily use the free demo version at free of cost and check the software features and performance properly. If the free demo version fulfill your need then you can buy this software full license version without any issue. The license key will be transferred you in just few minutes.