A microwave is an appliance that came into our lives to facilitate our day today. And thanks to its speed, it has become an indispensable appliance that heats food in a matter of minutes. You can even quickly defrost any food. But do you know how to clean the microwave effectively?
Like all household appliances in the home, it accumulates bacteria, germs, and food debris that cause bad odors. This unpleasant problem can cause our food to acquire strange tastes and smells. In this article, please pay attention to how to clean the microwave with some valuable home remedies.
- Clean microwave with lemon
Lemon has antibacterial and disinfectant properties, making it an excellent alternative to eliminate bad odors and germs accumulated on the walls and the microwave plate. Besides, it helps to loosen the fat, leaving this device sanitized, clean, and scented. Thus, we will avoid not only strange smells but also health problems.
It is also a very inexpensive and effective remedy with which you will obtain excellent results. And you only need 250 milliliters of water and lemon. The way to clean the microwave with lemon is to place the water in a glass or container suitable for the microwave; if possible, glass, place the sliced lemon inside, squeeze it together with the water, or both the same time.
- Put the container with the water and the lemon in the microwave and turn it on at maximum power for 3 or 5 minutes or until the water boils. You will notice it because the glass is fogging up, and you will see the bubbles in the lemon water.
- Turn off the microwave and remove the container with the water with the help of an oven mitt or a cloth to not burn yourself.
- Remove the remains of fat with the help of a sponge, including the microwave plate.
- Wipe with a clean, dry cloth to remove all debris.
And that’s how easy it is to clean a microwave with lemon, but there are other very effective techniques.
- Another alternative to clean the microwave with lemon
In addition to the remedy that we have told you to clean microwaves, you can also do it in the following way. Also, it is a very effective alternative as well but less cumbersome. To do this, you need a sponge, water, essential oil or lemon juice, and a spray bottle.
- To start using this technique, add water and 5 drops of lemon essential oil or natural juice to the spray bottle. A splash will be more than enough.
- Soak the sponge with this mixture and put it inside the appliance.
- With the sprayer’s help, spread the mixture over the walls and the microwave plate, close it, and put it on medium power with the sponge inside for 5 minutes.
- After this time, let it rest for another 5 minutes and, with the help of the hot sponge, remove the remains of fat and food that remain inside the appliance.
- Finally, use a cloth to dry and shine.
To make it more convenient for you to clean your dish from the microwave, you can remove it and clean it in the sink, or you can even put it in the dishwasher for a more thorough cleaning.
- White vinegar with baking soda
This remedy is very similar to the previous ones; besides, these two ingredients have great disinfectant and cleaning properties. To clean a microwave with vinegar and bicarbonate, you need half a liter of water, a tablespoon of white vinegar, and a baking soda tablespoon.
- First, mix the water with a tablespoon of white vinegar in a bowl and stir.
- Put the bowl into the appliance and turn it on for about 5 to 8 minutes or until about half the water has evaporated.
- Turn off the microwave and let the bowl rest inside for about 10 more minutes so that the vinegar vapors can descale all the remains of food and fat accumulated inside the appliance. This will allow the steam to reach all corners, including the microwave plate.
- Open and remove the container with the water and vinegar, being very careful not to burn yourself. Next, sprinkle the tablespoon of baking soda on top of a soft sponge and scrub to remove any accumulated debris and grease. This way, you will be able to eliminate the stains that the steam has softened.
- Finally, use a clean cloth to dry and add shine to the surface. You can do with the microwave plate what we said in the previous section if it is convenient for you to clean it outside.
Tips for cleaning the microwave
- You can carry out any of the tricks that we have shown you at least twice a month to avoid food scraps and fat accumulation. Also, you will disinfect and prevent the accumulation of bacteria. Keep in mind that even if you use special lids to prevent splashing, it always gets dirty.
- Clean the microwave plate and the entire interior after each use, so you take advantage of the fact that it is hot, and you will only have to use a clean, dry cloth to remove any food remains. In this way, you will avoid their accumulation.
- Take the plate out of the microwave frequently and wash it as explained above.
- Always use exclusive covers or accessories whenever you heat something to avoid splashing or spilling liquids or sauces.
- If any food is spilled into the microwave, do not let it dry; clean it immediately.