Recruitment and retention of staff in the restaurant industry has always been one of the most pressing and ever-present issues Buy shrooms online.
It happens that the old, proven methods of hiring suddenly no longer work, and then it’s time to move away from the usual ideas and approaches, and look at the old problem from a new angle.
Read below for 10 common restaurant recruiting practices that stay with you for many years and form the very dream-team that will surely lead you to success.
1. Look For Passive Candidates
Close the tabs with offers of those who are looking for a job for a while, take a break from reading resumes and pay attention to passive candidates.
Those who are not currently looking for a job, but could perfectly join your team. Use virtual (social networks) and personal contacts.
People are always on the lookout, even Buy shrooms online if they don’t show it. For example, you are having lunch in a restaurant and you see that the work of the waiter is impeccable.
Why not mention that you are also a shrooms online canada restaurateur and are looking for new people to join your team.
In the worst case, you will hear “No” in response and calmly continue your meal. But there is a chance to really interest a person and get a brilliant employee in your restaurant.
2. Referral Program For Employees
This is a powerful tool for attracting qualified personnel. Invite employees to bring their acquaintances and/or former colleagues to work with you.
Set up clear and understandable incentives for the “brought friend”, such as two days off on Sunday, a gift certificate, or something else that is definitely valuable to employees.
Warn them that they will only receive promotion if the “invited friend” passes the probationary period and is actually hired by you.
3. Cover Letters
In most restaurants, when hiring employees, they only ask for a resume and almost never a cover letter. But in vain. Resumes.
As a rule, look the same and do not give a complete picture of what kind of person is in front of you. A cover letter is intended to fill these gaps and provide the missing information.
From such a letter, for example, you can find out that a person has negligible experience in Ho Re Ca, but during the summer holidays at the university he worked as a camp counselor,
Which means he is prepared for teamwork and is not afraid of surprises and challenges that may arise in front of him in the process work.
Of course, it takes twice as long to read both the resume and the cover letter. But sometimes the facts in a letter can be key to a hiring decision.
4. Take Your Time To Finish The Interview
- When a candidate is invited for an interview, this process usually follows a rolling pattern and the conversation does not take much time.
- A 10-minute phone call and a short meeting with the administrator is not enough to understand whether the person is right for you or not.
- Do not limit yourself to talking with the Buy shrooms online manager, let the applicant also communicate with other team members, after which they can share their impressions.
- The selection of personnel, carried out on the basis of the opinions of several people, will definitely be of better quality.
5. Use Technology To Attract Talent
- Advances in restaurant digital technologies can (and should!) be used to attract qualified staff. Which restaurant is more likely to get a first-class employee –
- One where orders are written down in a notebook and waiters and chefs endlessly sort things out on the basis of misunderstandings
- That have arisen because of this, or one where a modern POS system has been implemented and orders are accepted and transferred to the kitchen via a smartphone /the tablet?
- When posting a vacancy, be sure to indicate that the personnel policy in your restaurant business respects the balance of personal and working time of employees, as well as the fact that you use modern technologies for comfortable and conflict-free work of staff.
6. Overtime Or Perpetual Turnover?
When you do not have enough employees in the hall or in the kitchen, do not rush to replenish the ranks of the restaurant’s working staff.
First, ask the existing ones if they would like to work overtime, receiving an adequate supplement for this. It is likely that there are those who are very satisfied with this option.
Paying overtime to your proven and experienced employees will cost you much less time and money than endless turnover and constant search for newcomers.
7. Workout For The Trainer
When hiring a new employee, you usually establish “patronage” over the newcomer for the first time by someone from the experienced. And here are hidden pitfalls.
After all, a good experienced employee they can not always be an effective mentor. A person can brilliantly do his job and at the same time not be able to teach this work to others. Decision? Train your trainers!
Introducing newcomers to work through Buy shrooms online training by more experienced colleagues is a common thing. But you must make sure that the person who is teaching the newcomer.
Has the answers to all the questions that the trainee will ask and that this person is able to transfer his experience to others in a quality manner.
- This advice should be applied very carefully so as not to get the opposite effect of what you want. We are talking about regular meetings with also employees to discuss pressing issues and accumulated problems.
- You do your best to control absolutely everything that happens in the restaurant, but sometimes processes occur within the team that do not fall into your field of vision.
- Such “invisible” problems that no one sees and, therefore, does not solve, often cause valuable employees to leave.
- What are the staff meetings mentioned above. These are weekly 10-15-minute meetings where questions such as “How are you doing?
- “What difficulties are you having?”, “What do you think can Buy shrooms online be done to improve the situation?” are asked. This is a good way to keep track of problems and resolve them in a timely manner.
- Moreover, such meetings are a but great way to recognize which of the employees has clearly grown from their position and is ready to go for a promotion.
- People are not always ready to openly ask for a raise, so identifying candidates who are ready for a raise in a timely manner is very important for staff retention.