An essential part of touring is knowing where you’re going – and in case you’re not the type to believe your instincts when you’re on the surprising ground, a few kinds of navigational aid have to be a vital part of your system. There’s not anything worse than getting misplaced inside the centre of nowhere!
The days having your entire touring organization pulling to a halt to collect round a bulky folding map are long gone – and it’s satellite tv for pc navigation, also called global position gadget (GPS) units which have taken over. GPS vehicle tracking system They’re lightweight, clean to apply and you could have it right there in front of you as you experience. Too easy!
As with maximum things in existence, there are some alternatives with regards to GPS units. From the naked-bones basic to pinnacle-shelf with all of the bells and whistles. But what’s going on you need?
Three Styles of GPS
- 3 forms of GPS are suitable for use on a motorbike. For starters, there are the simple handheld sorts used by hikers. These provide a smooth-to-use interface and may be linked up to a laptop to help you plan your journey. They also can be used at the same time as boating and rancid-roading, if that’s what you are into.
- The downsides to a hiker-style GPS are that the functions and menus may be tricky, and you will need to sort out a mounting gadget in case you need to preserve one eye on the map and the other on the street.
- Next up are the bike-specific gadgets, consisting of the TomTom RIDER. The RIDER has been designed with motorcyclists in mind – it comes with a specialized mounting that the unit clips into while you need it, and has massive touch-display controls, best for plotting your manner around, despite thick winter gloves on. The housing has been designed to handle the trials of lifestyles on two wheels and is weather-proof.
- The RIDER additionally has a cool headset attachment, which rests internally your helmet and might relay spoken commands to the unit through Bluetooth, so that you might not even need to take your hands off the bars – just tell the GPS you need to move “home” and it’ll plot you a path and lead you there.
- The 1/3 form of GPS unit that motorcyclists generally tend to use is the GPS / PDA hybrids, including a Blackberry with GPS software program loaded on. The upsides are that it doubles as a communications tool, has a large screen and is extraordinarily portable. The downsides… Properly, permit simply says that in case you’re out cruising on a weekday, you probably do not need the workplace to be able to electronic mail you!
Other Factors to Bear in Mind
- Once you’ve decided what kind of GPS you want to examine, there are extra factors that you may need to don’t forget earlier than creating a purchase. Such as, how appropriate is the battery existence at the model you need? Can you have it wired into your motorcycle’s electrical gadget so that it attracts power whilst you are on the road? Is the GPS correct enough? Can it be up to date?
- They’re all desirable questions – and they’ll all need answering earlier than you fork over your paycheck. Good battery lifestyles are critical – on an extended ride (six hours or extra), you’ll want to take into account a unit that has exquisite battery life. What may be worse than getting six hours from domestic, counting on the GPS for directions, only to have the batteries die whilst you need them the most? If deciding on a less expensive unit with lesser battery existence, the lesson right here is straightforward: convey spare batteries! Most handheld GPS gadgets run on four, 6 or 8 ‘AA’ size batteries, so they’re easy to supply and bring.
- To keep away from the difficulty of battery life, recollect having the GPS hard-stressed into your motorcycle’s electrical gadget. For the most component, GPS gadgets draw little or no modern, and because the battery is being recharged using the alternator while the bike is walking, your battery electricity will not be compromised.
- As for accuracy, maximum street cruisers won’t need to have a fantastic-correct GPS. Most units on the market in the interim provide accuracy as much as 26 toes. The greater correct fashions (which use a device called Wide Area Augmentation System) are suitable for accuracy inside a nine-foot radius.
- The very last, and possibly the maximum vital thing for many riders, is the price. How lots do you need to spend on a GPS, and the way do you get the satisfactory bang in your buck?
- Starter models, such as the Magellan Roadmate are to be had from $250. For the better models, you may pay whatever as much as $1400. Widely appeared because the great fee for cash for motorcyclists is the TomTom RIDER, which retails around $700. It’s got all the capabilities riders want, consisting of door-to-door cope with path plotting everywhere within the United States – it’s a winner.
Things to Remember:
- A GPS gadget is only as properly because the maps it has loaded into its memory – an obsolete map at the GPS is as horrific as a previous folding map. Make positive you maintain your GPS maps as updated as viable.
- GPS devices do not paintings properly undercover. They depend on being in line-of-sight contact with satellites out of doors earth’s atmosphere, and anything – including bushes – can interfere with the sign. If you spend several time on roads that run through forested regions, it’s worth thinking about one of the new SiRF Star III Chipset fashions. They provide superior coverage in leafy regions.
- Security for vehicle tracking system units is trouble – due to their portability, they may be very clean to scouse borrow. Make sure yours has a comfortable place to rest while you forestall for lunch.